Pandemic Update – 1
We are now five months into our response to the pandemic. Our baseline conviction is that we should do all that is reasonable to comply with the requirements of the civil government. We are concerned about the safety of our people and so have maintained social distancing and proper hygiene. At the same time, we recognize that it is essential to the nature of the church itself that it gather. The church is an assembly.
The following responses are in place:
- We are conducting two morning services in order to facilitate social distancing: seating in every other pew, wiping down pew between services, and utilizing alternating pews at 9:00 and 11:00.
- We are preaching and leading the evening service from the high pulpit in order to facilitate use of the balcony and social distancing.
- Seating for the evening meal is spread out in three spaces: Olmstead Hall, Telfair Hall, and the garden.
- We are observing social distancing in food lines and wearing face masks if social distancing is impossible.
- Food is served by helpers who are masked and gloved.
- Tables are set according to CDC guidelines and the governor’s executive order, at 6-foot intervals.
- A nursery is offered during the 9:00 AM and 5:30 PM services for children ages 3 and under. Temperature checks are conducted for each childcare worker and each child. Health questions are answered by parents when children are dropped off at the nursery.
- Sunday School remains dormant because of concerns about human traffic in the hallways. However, curriculum materials are mailed to families with children ages 4 – Gr. 5.
- The Wednesday noon service is in the sanctuary at 12:15 (with organ music played from 12:00- 12:15), is open to the public though without a meal.
- The New Covenant/Career Bible Study will continue to meet Thursdays at 7:00 PM in Telfair Hall.
For the fall
- Next week we will provide details (see here) of our expanded ministry program for the fall.
Terry L. Johnson